LEEP Preoperative and Postoperative Instructions
There are a number of important things you should know if you are having a loop electrosurgical excision or LEEP procedure. Please read this preoperative and postoperative instructions.
- On the day of the procedure, DO NOT apply any lotions or creams to the upper thigh. (This includes suntan lotions, oils, etc.)
- If upper left thigh is extremely hairy, please shave that area the day of the procedure.
- Eat breakfast or lunch.
- If you are not allergic to ibuprofen, you may take 4 tablets (200 mg each) 2 hours before your appointment time.
- This procedure cannot be done during a heavy menstrual period or if you are pregnant. Spotting is all right. PLEASE call the office if either of these conditions occurs.
- DO NOT bring any small children with you, unless another adult is present to watch them during your procedure.
- Bring someone with you to drive you home after the procedure.
- Call Lifestages (277-8988) for an appointment 4 weeks from the day of your procedure.
- Recovery time varies with each patient, but many can return to work the next day.
- Refrain from sexual intercourse, douching and tampons for 4 weeks.
- Avoid heavy lifting or stressful exercise for 2 weeks.
- Spotting may continue for 4 weeks.
- A brownish-black discharge for 1 to 2 weeks is normal.
- Call Lifestages (277-8988) for an appointment in 3 to 4 months for a Pap smear test and/or a repeat colposcopy.
- Use condoms for 3 months.
Call Lifestages (277-8988) immediately if you have:
- Heavy bleeding (soaking a sanitary napkin every 3 hours).
- A persistent, foul-smelling discharge
- Fever or pelvic pain