D&C and Hysteroscopy Postoperative Instructions
This page details postoperative instructions for dilation and curettage and hysterectomy procedures.
Unless your physician tells you otherwise, upon your arrival home, call Lifestages (277-8988) for an appointment approximately 4 weeks from the day of your surgery.
- You may drive the day after surgery. Call Lifestages (277-8988) if you wish to take an extended trip.
- Resume normal activity in 1 week.
- Refrain from sexual intercourse, douching, tampons and tub baths for 1 week.
- You may shower or kneel in a tub of water.
Your first period may be irregular. You may have some spotting for up to 4 weeks.
Call Lifestages (277-8988) immediately if you have:
- A temperature of 101° or higher
- Constant, severe pain not relieved by rest
- Bleeding (saturating a sanitary napkin every hour or passing large clots)
- Difficult or painful urination
- A persistent, foul-smelling discharge
- Severe constipation unrelieved by a suppository or laxatives